Playhouse Arts is delighted to serve our community through the Arcata Outdoor Events Grant, helping local groups offer outdoor Covid-Safe events for the community!
Arcata’s Outdoor Events Grant is made possible through a CARES Act block grant through the City of Arcata, working through Playhouse Arts, which is Arcata’s Local Arts Agency (LAA). This grant offers support to help our local organizations make covid-safe outdoor events happen since mid 2021. While it doesn’t pay artists directly for performances, it offers infrastructure such as staging and a sound system, along with permitting, and logistical support.
How do I use these great resources?
If you are an event creator, school, organization, or artist group looking to offer a community event in Arcata, we are here to help you make it happen. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or use the link below to fill out an interest form, even if your event details are not solid yet. We’ll get in touch and help you use the grant resources to make your event happen for our community!
These items are available for your group to use for no charge. Just fill out this form (even if you don’t have all the details yet): https://forms.gle/Bj3f4JhbmpfMbpWa6
• The Starstage 550 Canopy will make any event look extra special and exciting and showcase performers splendidly. It sets up in 30 minutes (really!) and comes down in about 15 minutes. It is easy to transport (fits in a regular car).
• Got sound? The Fender Passport series PA comes with a microphone and 2 speaker stands. It’s lightweight, has bluetooth as well as aux connection to plug in whatever you need to amplify. It is also great for small bands. It’s basic, but it works well for many events.
• The Firman Whisper Series Generator is easy to use and makes it so handy to power your sound system at events where there is no electricity.
• Not pictured: We have a used 12″ tall STAGE that is very sturdy for outdoor events. There are six 4’x8′ stage pieces. They are heavy, and you’ll need a big truck / trailer and 3 strong people to load / unload. Smooth on one side, carpeted on the other. Great for bands and dance performances.
• Not pictured: A new 40’x80′ Armbruster Circus Tent. This tent, ideal for performances with a real cover, is quite intense to set up and take down, and is best when it can be up for a week or two, so partnering with other organizations is a wonderful idea. It is red and blue and quite spectacular! You can check it out in the Creamery field on 8th & L Streets now through July.
• Depending on the event, we may be able to connect you to 10×10’s, trash cans, recycling sorters, sandbags, and tables thanks to a partnership with Arcata Main Street. Non-profits such as Playhouse Arts and Redwood Raks Collective have also been happy to loan or rent additional resources if available.
GALLERY of EVENTS since mid 2021
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What locations are available for the Outdoor Events Grant?
Arcata Plaza, Redwood Park, Carlson Park off Giuntoli, Arcata Ballpark, Arcata Community Center and Sports Complex, and numerous playgrounds and parks across town. Events can happen on public or private property.
What does the grant pay for?
Upon request, the grant can help cover space rental permit costs for having an event in the city, technician time to set up / take down equipment (starstage, generator, sound equipment, etc.), and logistics support to connect you to needed resources, advice, and strategy for a successful event.
What does the grant NOT pay for?
The grant cannot pay for performance fees for artists, insurance for your event, security, ABC or food permits, other types of staff time, marketing / advertising / promotion, transportation costs, or the rental of additional equipment.
How big is the Starstage?
Here is a handy diagram. Notice it has a 55′ diameter and you can’t use it where there is irrigation due to the long stakes that go into the ground. Let us know if you’d like us to check out your proposed site.
It CAN be used at Carlson Park off Giuntoli Lane, at Valley West Park on Hallen Drive, and in the field on Valley West Blvd by Laurel Tree School. Currently it CANNOT go on the Arcata Plaza, Redwood Park, or the Arcata Ballpark.